Cobble Bread Recipe
To make this tender coffee cake, Bernice Knutson of Soldier, Iowa dips balls of dough into cinnamon and sugar, then places them in a fluted tube pan. "I pour chopped walnuts in the pan first. They add a nice crunch," she notes.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Melt remaining butter; pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle walnuts over bottom of pan. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle 1/4 cup over nuts.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide into six portions; divide each portion into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a ball; dip in remaining cinnamon-sugar. Place in prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over top. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece: 433 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Cobble Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC