Cobble Bread Recipe
To make this tender coffee cake, Bernice Knutson of Soldier, Iowa dips balls of dough into cinnamon and sugar, then places them in a fluted tube pan. "I pour chopped walnuts in the pan first. They add a nice crunch," she notes.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Melt remaining butter; pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle walnuts over bottom of pan. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle 1/4 cup over nuts.
- Punch dough down. Divide into six portions; divide each portion into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a ball; dip in remaining cinnamon-sugar. Place in prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over top. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Cobble Bread in Country Woman November/December 2002, p40
Reviews for Cobble Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Bundt Coffee Cake >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >