Cobb Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-1/2 cups torn romaine
- 2-1/2 cups torn curly endive
- 1 bunch watercress (4 ounces), trimmed, divided
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue or Roquefort cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients. While processing, gradually add canola and olive oils in a steady stream.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, endive and half of the watercress; toss lightly. Transfer to a serving platter. Arrange the chicken, tomatoes, avocado, eggs, cheese and bacon over the greens; sprinkle with chives. Top with remaining watercress. Cover and chill until serving.
- 3. To serve, drizzle 1 cup dressing over salad. Serve with remaining dressing if desired. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/4 cups dressing).
1 serving: 575 calories, 52g fat (8g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 1171mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein .
Reviews for Cobb Salad
"This was great! We really enjoyed it!"
"Cobb is my favorite salad. I add extra blue cheese and use blue cheese salad dressing."
"One of my favorite salads. The dressing is light and tasty. Exactly what the cobb salad dressing should be. I added a bit of green onion to mine but otherwise it was just the same."
"I love Cobb Salad and this is a good one. The dressing is wonderful! I have been making the dressing since it was first published. It tastes great on any salad. A keeper!"
"Very pretty salad. I have made it several times. It is very good."
"This was the best cobb salad I have ever had. The dressing was amazing everything went together great."
"Great dressing and good solid recipe! I served this as a build your own salad, and my kids enjoyed creating their own versions. Wonderful way to get my kids interested in trying to new things, and eating more salad!"
"This was delicious. I didn't have avocado, so I left it out and subbed in balsamic vinegar for the red wine vinegar."
"OH MY GOSH What a great Salad..my family loved it and I didnt even have the Avacado..wonderful salad.."
"Since I didn't have a rectangular platter like the one shown, I used an oval platter. It looks so pretty and is a perfect summer meal."
"my children were asking for more. we used a few different ingredients and used some molasses and bacon seasonings on our chicken but they asked me to make this again soon. going to blog about it"
"Husband is a diabetic & picked this for me to make for him for dinner just from the picture. He loved it!"
"First time I ever made this and it was AWESOME!!"
"This salad was so pretty and so good. You can put anything you want on it. I added ham instead of chicken then put on some cheese, olives & celery. The dressing I have already made again just to put on regular salads. This one is a keeper."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.