Throwing a children's party can be a real circus if you serve the colorful clown cupcakes our Test Kitchen created. Set up a cupcake decorating table and let the kids make funny faces with their favorite candies.
24 ServingsPrep: 2 hours Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting, divided
- Yellow, red and blue paste food coloring
- 24 ice cream sugar cones
- Assorted candies: M&M's miniature baking bits, red shoestring licorice and cherry sour ball candies
- Prepare and bake cake batter according to package directions for
- cupcakes. Cool completely on wire racks. Divide two cans of frosting
- among three bowls; tint with yellow, red and blue food coloring.
- For clown hats, use a serrated knife or kitchen scissors to cut 2 in.
- from the open end of each cone. Frost cones with tinted frosting;
- decorate with baking bits. Place on waxed paper for 30 minutes or
- until frosting is set.
- Frost cupcakes with remaining vanilla frosting. Leaving room for the
- hat on each cupcake, make a clown face and hair with candies. Pipe a
- matching ruffle on each. Carefully position a hat on each cupcake.
- Yield: 2 dozen.