Clown Cake Recipe
You can't go wrong planning a circus theme for your child's birthday party, especially with this colorful cake from our Test Kitchen. Use some of the clown cookies on the cake and serve the remainder alongside.
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 package yellow or chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Red, blue, yellow and green gel or paste food coloring
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out cookie dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out with a lightly floured 3-in. to 3-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Bake according to package directions. Cool on wire racks.
- 2. Prepare and bake cake according to the package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and shortening until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth.
- 4. Place 1/2 cup of frosting each in four small bowls; tint one red, one blue, one yellow and one green. Place 3/4 cup frosting in a small bowl and leave white. Cover the bowls with plastic wrap and set aside.
- 5. To assemble, place one cake layer on a 10-in. round serving plate. Using some of the remaining frosting, frost top of cake. Top with second layer; frost top and sides of cake.
- 6. Using 1/2 cup of the reserved white frosting, spread over nine cooled cookies; let stand until set.(Set aside remaining cookies for another use or decorate and serve along sides of cake).
- 7. Cut a small hole in the corner of four pastry or plastic bags; insert a tip and fill each bag with a tinted frosting. Decorate frosted side of cookies with zigzag, star fill-in, ruffle garland or sotas (lace) to resemble clowns. Let stand until dry,
- 8. Gently press a clown cookie into the lower left side of top of cake. Using frosting, make three balloons. Pipe strings from balloons to the clown's hand. Pipe "Happy Birthday" on cake. Pipe a shall border around top edge. Pipe two large dots on the back of each clown with remaining white frosting. Evenly space clowns around sides of cake; gently press into cake. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2 dozen cookies).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC