You can't go wrong planning a circus theme for your child's birthday party, especially with this colorful cake from our Test Kitchen. Use some of the clown cookies on the cake and serve the remainder alongside.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 package yellow or chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Red, blue, yellow and green gel or paste food coloring
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out cookie dough to 1/4-in.
- thickness. Cut out with a lightly floured 3-in. to 3-1/2-in.
- gingerbread man cookie cutter. Bake according to package directions.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Prepare and bake cake according to the package directions, using two
- greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes
- before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and shortening until
- fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat
- until smooth.
- Place 1/2 cup of frosting each in four small bowls; tint one red, one
- blue, one yellow and one green. Place 3/4 cup frosting in a small
- bowl and leave white. Cover the bowls with plastic wrap and set