Cloverleaf Wheat Rolls Recipe
These attractive rolls have a sweet taste that will complement any Christmas dinner menu. The whole wheat dough is easy to prepare, and the rolls come out of the oven light, tender and golden brown.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 15-20 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into six portions. Divide each portion into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 roll equals 145 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC