Cloverleaf Wheat Rolls Recipe
These attractive rolls have a sweet taste that will complement any Christmas dinner menu. The whole wheat dough is easy to prepare, and the rolls come out of the oven light, tender and golden brown.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 15-20 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into six portions. Divide each portion into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cloverleaf Wheat Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p50
Reviews for Cloverleaf Wheat Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review