Clove Apple Cake Recipe
"This spicy and sweet cake is a wonderful coffee-time dessert, especially with the creamy custard sauce," notes Kim Marie Van Rheenen of Mendota, Illinois.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional ground cloves, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and cloves. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in apples. Transfer to a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg; return all to pan. bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter and vanilla. Serve over warm cake. Sprinkle with ground cloves if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 381 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC