- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 large carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- PEAS SOUP FOG:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes, carrots and garlic in a saucepan; cover with water. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain; reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- In a bowl, mash potatoes, carrots and garlic. Beat in milk, butter, salt and pepper until light and fluffy. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add reserved cooking liquid. Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas, bouillon, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Serve over mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Clouds at Sunset
"The recipe is good, you need to add a few extra spices to get the flavor you like, but besides that it is good."
"I made this recipe when it first appeared in TOH several years ago. I liked it, and I think I may make a few changes when I serve it again. The meat mixture was a tad bland, so I'll add some garlic powder and steak seasoning. I'd also like to try using sweet potato in place of the carrots."