- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup clementine juice (about 5 clementines)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated clementine peel
- 4 clementines, peeled, sectioned and membrane removed
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated clementine peel
- 5 to 6 teaspoons clementine juice
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 clementine sections with membrane (about 2-1/2 clementines)
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Place one clementine section in the center of each; gently press down into batter. Chop remaining sections; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, clementine peel and enough juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip clementine sections halfway into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set. Place one on each cupcake. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Clementine Cupcakes
"This is a good recipe but almost everyone who tried it did not like the whole section of clementine in the cupcake. Also, I found the frosting measurements did not work for me, I needed to add a bit more butter and juice."
"Clementines are actually a variety of mandarin oranges. Citrus growers are now starting to grow them. Most are seedless, but some are not. Look for seedless on the box (as with oranges-no seeds are much nicer to eat). 'Cuties' are a brand that are seedless. Our Walmart has them sometimes, as do some of the local grocery stores."
"Well, I looked in the right place and found it. It's a good thing it wasn't a snake!"
"Where is the nutrition info for this recipe?"
"Ajani, just use any other recipe and add the extras. Cake always has the basic same ingredients. Flour, liquid, oil, and something to make it rise. :)"