Classic Wilted Lettuce Salad Recipe
"WHEN we were kids, my sister and I would prepare the freshly picked lettuce for this salad, rinsing it several times and carefully drying it. As we did so, we quibbled about the portions we'd each have. Somehow, it seems she always managed to get more!"
- 4 bacon strips, cut up
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- 2. To the hot drippings, add the vinegar, water, onions, sugar, salt and pepper, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Place lettuce in a salad bowl; immediately pour dressing over and toss lightly. Top with egg. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 118 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC