- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oats, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk, butter, honey and molasses to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a medium stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 20 minutes. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves(16 slices each).
Originally published as Classic Whole Wheat Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p42
Reviews for Classic Whole Wheat Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review