Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil; cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes longer or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a bowl with the whisk attachment, cream butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in cooked sugar mixture. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. If necessary, refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 cups.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 155 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.