Classic Texas Caviar Recipe
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- Tortilla chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the peas, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour over black-eyed pea mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2. Stir in avocado just before serving. Serve with chips. Yield: 5 cups.
1/2 cup: 113 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 522mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Classic Texas Caviar
"I love this easy recipe, it is a great item to make and take to gatherings. My dish is always empty when I take it home."
"Excellent! I leave out the avocado just because I don't like avocado...otherwise this recipe is quick and easy to make and its delicious! I have served it at a couple of different gatherings and always get compliments."
"Love this recipe! And everyone who tries it loves it, too. And it's pretty healthy I think. Maybe not the chips though."
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.