Becky Oliver of Fairplay, Colorado created this quick appetizer. Writes Becky, “I adapted this recipe from a cook book I received a long time ago, and now, I can't imagine a get-together at my house without it.”
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour over black-eyed pea mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Stir in avocado just before serving. Serve with chips. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Texas Caviar in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p7
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Classic Texas Caviar
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review