Classic Swiss Steak Recipe
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef top round steak or sirloin steak
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. In a large skillet, saute carrots in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. Cut meat into four pieces. Add meat and remaining oil to skillet; cook over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and oregano; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 272 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Classic Swiss Steak
"This is really yummy, and the veggies add so much. I put in sautéed mushrooms instead of canned ones. The steak was a little dry, so I might cook it a little less next time."
"Very good. I used moose so l simmered it a little longer."
"My husband & I are retired & the kids visit at Christmas. We tried this recipe on the holidays & it was so delicious. I doubled the recipe & it was a good thing I did. I find that the best recipes I get are either from Taste of Home or Paula Deen. I always feel they always are going to be excellent."
"Pretty good. Took a while to prepare and cook though so I wouldn't do it again on a weeknight. Would probably be good in the crock pot on a weekend."
"Hubby especially loved it. Definitely a good recipe to double.~ Theresa"
"Better than I expected. The carrots were great"
"Used leftovers the next night over rice. Yum!"