Classic Swiss Steak Recipe
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef top round steak or sirloin steak
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. In a large skillet, saute carrots in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. Cut meat into four pieces. Add meat and remaining oil to skillet; cook over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and oregano; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 272 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 569 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Classic Swiss Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.