- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef top round steak or sirloin steak
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a large skillet, saute carrots in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. Cut meat into four pieces. Add meat and remaining oil to skillet; cook over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and oregano; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Classic Swiss Steak
Sort By :
"This is really yummy, and the veggies add so much. I put in sautéed mushrooms instead of canned ones. The steak was a little dry, so I might cook it a little less next time."
"Very good. I used moose so l simmered it a little longer."
"My husband & I are retired & the kids visit at Christmas. We tried this recipe on the holidays & it was so delicious. I doubled the recipe & it was a good thing I did. I find that the best recipes I get are either from Taste of Home or Paula Deen. I always feel they always are going to be excellent."
"Pretty good. Took a while to prepare and cook though so I wouldn't do it again on a weeknight. Would probably be good in the crock pot on a weekend."
"Hubby especially loved it. Definitely a good recipe to double.~ Theresa"