Classic Swiss Steak Recipe
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef top round steak or sirloin steak
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a large skillet, saute carrots in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. Cut meat into four pieces. Add meat and remaining oil to skillet; cook over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and oregano; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Classic Swiss Steak(4)
Sort By :
Pretty good. Took a while to prepare and cook though so I wouldn't do it again on a weeknight. Would probably be good in the crock pot on a weekend.
Hubby especially loved it. Definitely a good recipe to double.
Better than I expected. The carrots were great
Used leftovers the next night over rice. Yum!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Steak Dinner >
- Steak Recipes >