Classic Sweet Potato Pie
Paul Azzone relies on this simple but special deep-dish pie to provide a down-home finish to hearty autumn meals served at home in Shoreham, New York. Pecans and pumpkin pie spice make this one comforting seasonal classic.
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups pie crust mix
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 3 eggs
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) sweet potatoes, drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping and additional chopped pecans, toasted, optional
- In a small bowl, combine pie crust mix and pecans. Gradually add
- water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out to fit
- a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Flute
- edges; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the eggs, sweet potatoes, milk, pumpkin
- pie spice, vanilla and salt; blend until smooth. Pour into pastry.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35
- minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped topping and toasted
- pecans if desired. Yield: 8 servings.