Purchased sweet-and-sour sauce takes the work out of preparing this traditional dish, which tastes very much like the takeout version. “Before we were married, my husband surprised me by cooking this after a long day at work,” recalls Holly Tittel of Great Bend, Kansas.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- SWEET-AND-SOUR SAUCE:
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) sweet-and-sour sauce
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, water, egg, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Dip chicken into batter. Fry in oil, a few pieces at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the sweet-and-sour sauce, carrots, green pepper, onion and pineapple. Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve chicken and sauce with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Classic Sweet-and-Sour Chicken in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p48
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Classic Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2009
"YUMMY is all I have to say about this receipe!"