- 1-2/3 cups evaporated milk, divided
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Canned lingonberries, optional
- Combine 2/3 cup evaporated milk with the next five ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly. Refrigerate until chilled.
- With wet hands, shape meat mixture into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Brown meatballs in batches. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Pour over meatballs; bring to a boil. Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together cold water and flour. Remove meatballs from skillet; skim fat, reserving juices. Add flour mixture and remaining evaporated milk to pan juices; cook, uncovered, over low heat, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Return meatballs to skillet. Stir in lemon juice. If desired, top with lingonberries. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Classic Swedish Meatballs
"I thought that this was an okay dish. My sauce did not get as thick as I would have liked. I did make a few changes to the meatballls. I used pork instead of beef, I added an egg to help the meatballs stay together, and I added half the onion and allspice that it called for. My family is not big on onion taste, and halving the onion still gave these meatballs plenty of onion flavor."
"Made these tonight! Very tasty!I did bake them instead of frying in a pan so that they stayed together better!"
"I followed the ingredient list and recipe to a "T" and my meatballs pathetically fell apart. I ended up just cooking the meatballs like a meat sauce and pouring it over pasta. The flavor was great."
"Really good, I used lamb instead of beef my husband devoured them"
"Very good , made them for a party and everyone loved them ."
"My boyfriend really enjoyed this, and I liked it as well. I think I just don't care for the taste, not the recipe."
"This is like my 8th time making this recipe. My fiancee Sam LOVES this recipe!!! BUT truth be told, Him and I had been drinkin a lil wine and I messed up the recipe a lil.... Just know that if you brown the meatballs completely and forget to add the bouilon cubes and then remove the meatballs and mix the flour with the liquids... let it boil down, to thicken and then add meatballs, noodles and sprinkle with lemon. Still the MOST FANTABULOUS recipe ever.. even when you mess up because you're having a good time with your family and you lost track of time. Thank you for this...and the added smiles =))"
"This recipe is awesome!! My Sam loves it!! This is the second time I made this.. but this time, instead of just buttering the noodles and sprinkle them w/ poppy seed... once I drain the noodles, I put them in a hit pan of already melted butter, let them fry up a little and then add poppy seed and sprinkle with parm and parsley.Yum =) I even had to take a picture of it!!"
"I thought this was a good recipe. My husband did not care for it. I thought the sauce could be a bit thicker."