Classic Stuffed Turkey Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- Warm water
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Melted butter
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, celery and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add broth and seasonings; mix well. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add mushroom mixture and toss to coat. Stir in enough warm water to reach desired moistness.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey. Place any remaining stuffing in a greased baking dish; cover and refrigerated until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake turkey, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 30-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 12 servings (10 cups stuffing).
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Classic Stuffed Turkey
Sort By :
This tastes just like my mom's stuffing! A friend made it, and just cooked it outside the turkey. The difference was, she used 2-3 cans of broth. It came out moist and tasting as if it had been stuffed into the turkey. I tried my mom's recipe for stuffing once or twice, but when I made it, it didn't taste the same. I don't know why not. But this recipe takes me right back in time!
When using day old bread instead of bread cubes how much do I use? I wanted to try this recipe for Thanksgiving this year so I honestly couldn't rate it.
This is my stuffing recipe!!!!
Only made the stuffing, but we thought it was really good.
I have made this recipe several times using leftover bread it is excellent and delicious