Classic Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked lean ground beef
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. In a large saucepan, cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce, rice, onion, salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Stuff into peppers. Place in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving equals 375 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 987 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.