My family grows 200 acres of green peppers. We think one of the best way to enjoy this fresh vegetable is in the classic recipe.—Karnemaat Farms, Marlene Karnemaat, Fremont, Michigan
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place in ice water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, onion, celery, tomato, garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine soup and basil; spoon over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Green Peppers in Taste of Home April/May 1998, p65
Reviews for Classic Stuffed Green Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review