Classic Sponge Torte Recipe
Sponge cakes call for both egg whites and egg yolks, giving them a richer texture than angel food cakes. Here, the layered cake is topped with a delightful chocolate frosting.
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grated chocolate, optional
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the waxed paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup sugar; beat for 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and lemon-colored and falls in a ribbon from beaters. Beat in vanilla.
- In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold flour into egg yolk a third at a time. Stir in a third of the whites. Fold in remaining whites.
- Spread batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, chocolate, milk and vanilla until smooth. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.
- To assemble, split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with grated chocolate if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Classic Sponge Torte in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p130
Reviews for Classic Sponge Torte(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review