Classic Red Velvet Heart Cakes Recipe
For a perfect dessert recipe for any romance dinner, try these cakes. It will be very impressive to your guests and also tastes wonderful.—Hershey Food Corporation, Cheryl Reitz, Hershey, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine milk and food coloring; set aside. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture. Mix well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake test done. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares or mark top of cake with a 3-in. heart-shaped cardboard template or cookie cutter and cut with a knife. Frost with vanilla frosting. Sprinkle with chocolate chips if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 347 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 433 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC