Classic Red Velvet Heart Cakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine milk and food coloring; set aside. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture. Mix well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake test done. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares or mark top of cake with a 3-in. heart-shaped cardboard template or cookie cutter and cut with a knife. Frost with vanilla frosting. Sprinkle with chocolate chips if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 each: 347 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Classic Red Velvet Heart Cakes
"Any red velvet recipes are the best cakes that you can make; so why do people submit a LOW rating when they have not made & served the cake? TO SUBMIT A RATING MEANS THAT YOU HAVE TRIED THE RECIPE!!!!!! duh!"
"How ADORABLE. Thank you, Cheryl Reitz, for sharing this CUTIE recipe. It looks delcious. I will HAVE to try it!!"