Classic Red Velvet Heart Cakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine milk and food coloring; set aside. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture. Mix well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake test done. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares or mark top of cake with a 3-in. heart-shaped cardboard template or cookie cutter and cut with a knife. Frost with vanilla frosting. Sprinkle with chocolate chips if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 each: 347 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Classic Red Velvet Heart Cakes
"Any red velvet recipes are the best cakes that you can make; so why do people submit a LOW rating when they have not made & served the cake? TO SUBMIT A RATING MEANS THAT YOU HAVE TRIED THE RECIPE!!!!!! duh!"
"How ADORABLE. Thank you, Cheryl Reitz, for sharing this CUTIE recipe. It looks delcious. I will HAVE to try it!!"