- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 5-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar, butter flavoring and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth and creamy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Classic Red Velvet Cake
Sort By :
"I used this recipe to make red velvet cake balls and they turned out fantastic!"
"So very sad, to rate a recipe because you don't like the ingredients. I didn't think that this site was for healthy recipes only. If you don't like the ingredients used, don't make it and don't rate it."
"It was a little dry"
"I made this cake to celebrate a friend's birthday on a "game" night we have often. He said the cake was "awesome". My family and other guests also enjoyed the cake tremendously. Thanks so much for a recipe that I will keep and use again and again."