Classic Red Velvet Cake Recipe
This ruby-red cake with it's lovely cream cheese frosting has become my "signature dessert." I can't go to any family function without it. The cake is very moist with a buttery chocolate taste. —Katie Sloan, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 5-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar, butter flavoring and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth and creamy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 583 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 468 mg sodium, 87 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC