Classic Red Cabbage
My grandfather was German, so my grandmother prepared many German dishes for him. This is one I like best.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium head red cabbage, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the
- cabbage, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes. Stir in apples and water; cover and simmer 45 minutes
- longer or until cabbage and apples are tender.
- Combine vinegar and brown sugar; stir into cabbage mixture. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until
- cabbage and apples are glazed. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 136 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 369 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.