Classic Red Cabbage Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium head red cabbage, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in apples and water; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until cabbage and apples are tender.
- 2. Combine vinegar and brown sugar; stir into cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until cabbage and apples are glazed. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 136 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Classic Red Cabbage
"Delicious. I live in Germany now and this really won over the visitors we had for supper. Tasted very authentic and far better than the kind out of a jar!"