- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium head red cabbage, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in apples and water; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until cabbage and apples are tender.
- Combine vinegar and brown sugar; stir into cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until cabbage and apples are glazed. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Red Cabbage in Country Extra March 2007, p51
Reviews for Classic Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2012
"Delicious. I live in Germany now and this really won over the visitors we had for supper. Tasted very authentic and far better than the kind out of a jar!"