Classic Red Beans N Rice Recipe
We've lived here, where Cajun cooking is common, for nearly 25 years and have come to rely on this staple menu item. If you've never tried red beans and rice before, I assure you'll like this recipe.—Jackie Turnage, New Iberia, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 2 - 1/4 hours + standing YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 ham hock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven. Add the water, ham hock, bay leaves and onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add to bean mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves.
- 4. Remove ham hock; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to broth. Heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 309 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC