Classic Red Beans N Rice Recipe
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 ham hock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven. Add the water, ham hock, bay leaves and onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add to bean mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves.
- 4. Remove ham hock; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to broth. Heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Smoked or cured ham hocks are usually available in your grocer's meat department. If you can't find them, ask your butcher for some leftover ham bones.
1 each: 309 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Classic Red Beans N Rice
"This is very close to the way I make it except I add Andouille sausage."