This rich and flavorful ratatouille is the perfect salute to the harvest. Hearty and full of veggies, it fills the kitchen with the comforting aroma of thyme, onions and garlic. —Diane Trester, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Featured In: Say “Oui!” to Our Favorite French-Inspired Recipes
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Reduce heat to low.
- In a large skillet, saute eggplant, zucchini, squash and green, red and yellow peppers in batches in remaining oil until lightly browned, adding each batch of sauteed vegetables to the Dutch oven.
- Stir the stock, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper into the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a large saucepan two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Score an "X" on the bottom of each tomato. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove tomatoes and immediately plunge into ice water. Discard peel and coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Drain and reserve juices from vegetable mixture. Remove vegetables from the pan and set aside. Return juices to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Return vegetables to pan and stir in tomatoes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Classic Ratatouille in Country Woman August/September 2012, p22
Reviews for Classic Ratatouille
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review