- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Reduce heat to low.
- In a large skillet, saute eggplant, zucchini, squash and green, red and yellow peppers in batches in remaining oil until lightly browned, adding each batch of sauteed vegetables to the Dutch oven.
- Stir the stock, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper into the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a large saucepan two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Score an "X" on the bottom of each tomato. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove tomatoes and immediately plunge into ice water. Discard peel and coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Drain and reserve juices from vegetable mixture. Remove vegetables from the pan and set aside. Return juices to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Return vegetables to pan and stir in tomatoes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Classic Ratatouille in Country Woman August/September 2012, p22
Reviews for Classic Ratatouille
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review