Classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Nothing says Thanksgiving like a slice of pumpkin pie. And you can relish every luscious bite of this version since our Test Kitchen made the tender crust with a mere hint of canola oil and butter.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Using a fork, stir in oil and butter until dough is crumbly. Gradually add enough water until dough holds together. Roll out between sheets of plastic wrap into an 11-in. circle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- 2. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap; invert pastry into a 9-in. pie plate. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Trim and flute edges. Chill.
- 3. Roll pastry scraps to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 1-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg white, sugars, salt and spices until smooth. Beat in pumpkin. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with leaf cutouts. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 249 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC