Classic Pot Roast
After our children grew up and left home, it was hard to cook for only two people. Now I've found a few tricks to make things easier. (Leftovers of this pot roast would be scrumptious in the Italian Beef with Mushrooms recipe at left.)
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast or 1 bottom round roast (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- Place meat in an ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven. Add the potatoes,
- carrots and onion. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with tomatoes. Spread
- soup over meat. Pour water around vegetables. Cover and bake at
- 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Thicken cooking liquid if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 237 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.