After our children grew up and left home, it was hard to cook for only two people. Now I've found a few tricks to make things easier. (Leftovers of this pot roast would be scrumptious in the Italian Beef with Mushrooms recipe at left.)
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast or 1 bottom round roast (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- Place meat in an ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven. Add the potatoes, carrots and onion. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with tomatoes. Spread soup over meat. Pour water around vegetables. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken cooking liquid if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Classic Pot Roast in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p121
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Classic Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review