- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 9-in.-square baking pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
"I found this recipe in my new edition of Taste of Home Baking recipe book! I noticed that there was a variation for Cranberry Orange Upside Down Cake & citrus fruit was the Ingredient challenge for this week for Cook's Corner Forum! I prepared this cake, substituting 1 cup frozen WHOLE cranberries and 3/4 cup ground Navel orange & 1/3 cup orange juice for the pineapple juice! I omitted the pineapple, pecans and cherries! I used the 1/3 cup melted butter, the 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, the 3 eggs, separated, the sugar & substituted 1 tsp. orange extract for the vanilla extract! Of course, I kept the flour, salt and baking powder the same! I used my egg beater to beat the egg whites in a bowl, then folded the egg whites into batter! I used this upside-down cake pan I'd purchased a while back from the Country Store! I spread the ground orange and whole cranberries over the butter/brown sugar mixture in the pan. I had to bake the cake 45 minutes at 375o F. I'd tested it at 35 minutes and it wasn't done-cake tester came out gooey! I ran a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen cake-I inverted the cake onto a waxed-paper covered clean baking sheet. Then I transferred the cake to a plate. This cake came out looking beautiful! I was glad for this variation of Cranberry-Orange Upside-Down Cake! Bernardine Melton, thank you for sharing this recipe for the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake! I gave the cake to my Mom to freeze for when we have company or if friends drop in! delowenstein"
"I didn't have pecans or cherries. Only had pineapple chunks so used that instead of slices. A bit too sweet but I don't mind that. On the other hand, the beating of the egg whites made the cake portion incredible - almost like an angel food cake. Loved this!! light and fluffy. Next time I will just reduce the brown sugar to 1/2 cup."