Classic Pie Pastry Recipe
Just four ingredients are all you need to create a fabulous, flaky pie crust. The double-crust recipe should be used when making a lattice-topped pie.
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. For a single crust, roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9- or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- 3. For a double crust, divide dough in two portions so one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: 1 pastry for a single- or double-crust pie (9 or 10 inches).
1 cooked pie pastry equals 144 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC