- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE
- 1-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- For a single crust, roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9- or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- For a double crust, divide dough in two portions so one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: 1 pastry for a single- or double-crust pie (9 or 10 inches).
Originally published as Classic Pie Pastry in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p483
Reviews for Classic Pie Pastry(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2012
I felt that it was a bit dry but my husband loved the apple pie that I made with it. He said the crust was the best part, therefore I will make it again for him. May try adding some milk to see if it will be less dry.