Classic Onion Soup Mix Recipe
- 3/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- FOR ONION SOUP:
- 4 cups water
- FOR ROASTED POTATOES
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- FOR ONION DIP:
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- Assorted raw vegetables, chips or crackers
- Combine the first five ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 4 batches (20 tablespoons total).
- To prepare onion soup: In a saucepan, combine water and 5 tablespoons onion soup mix. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 3 servings.
- To prepare roasted potatoes: In a bowl, toss potatoes and oil. Sprinkle with 5 tablespoons onion soup mix; toss to coat. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 35-40 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
- To prepare onion dip: In a bowl, combine sour cream and 5 tablespoons onion soup mix; mix well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with vegetables, chips or crackers. Yield: 2 cups.
Reviews for Classic Onion Soup Mix
Sort By :
This works very well as a substitute for packaged onion soup mix. I keep a jar of it on hand in my pantry.
It's not hard to make this a vegetarian dish. Simply substitute vegetarian bouillon for the beef.
Not really a vegetarian dish, if it contains beef bouillon. TOH, be more careful with your listings!