Classic Monte Cristo
"This sandwich is great for breakfast or dinner," says M. Woods of Springfield, Missouri. "It tastes sweet, like French toast, but gets protein from the meat and cheese."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli turkey
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- Spread mustard over one side of each slice of bread; top two slices
- with cheese and turkey. Cover with remaining bread, mustard side
- down. In a shallow bowl, beat egg substitute and milk. Dip
- sandwiches in mixture, coating both sides.
- Heat a griddle coated with cooking spray; toast sandwiches until
- lightly browned on both sides. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve with apple butter. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 332 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 1,007 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.