"This sandwich is great for breakfast or dinner," says M. Woods of Springfield, Missouri. "It tastes sweet, like French toast, but gets protein from the meat and cheese."
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli turkey
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- Spread mustard over one side of each bread slice; top two slices with cheese and turkey. Cover with remaining bread, mustard side down. In a shallow bowl, beat egg substitute and milk. Dip sandwiches in mixture, coating both sides.
- Heat a griddle coated with cooking spray; toast sandwiches until lightly browned on both sides. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with apple butter. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Classic Monte Cristo in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p22
Reviews for Classic Monte Cristo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review