Classic Monte Cristo Recipe
"This sandwich is great for breakfast or dinner," says M. Woods of Springfield, Missouri. "It tastes sweet, like French toast, but gets protein from the meat and cheese."
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli turkey
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- Spread mustard over one side of each slice of bread; top two slices with cheese and turkey. Cover with remaining bread, mustard side down. In a shallow bowl, beat egg substitute and milk. Dip sandwiches in mixture, coating both sides.
- Heat a griddle coated with cooking spray; toast sandwiches until lightly browned on both sides. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with apple butter. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Classic Monte Cristo in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p22
Reviews for Classic Monte Cristo(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review