It's not fancy, and it doesn't use exotic ingredients...but this is quite simply the best old-fashioned meat loaf I've ever made.—Mary Rea, Orangeville, Ontario
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 slices whole wheat or white bread, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- In a large bowl, pour milk over bread. Add egg, onion, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; mix thoroughly. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape meat mixture into an 8-in. x 4-in. oval.
- Bake in a shallow pan at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains. Drain. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Classic Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef 1993, p35
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Classic Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review