- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with cream cheese. Combine the egg whites, sour cream, onion powder, salt and pepper; stir into potatoes until blended. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each)
Reviews for Classic Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
"They turned out pretty good, although I barely had enough room in the oven for them and the turkey."
"This recipe was so-so. There are many other mashed potato recipes on this website that are really much better. Quite time consuming for not much deliciousness.- Theresa"
"I tried this for the first time. It was so easy and they tasted great. It was so nice to have one less item to try and get ready on Thanksgiving day"
"Made these for Thanksgiving and my 8 adult dinner guests almost finished them! I made them exactly as directed using the oven, not a crockpot. Much easier than preparing and mashing potatoes on Thanksgiving morning. Not to mention the pan and other utensils used for prep are all cleaned up already. I will make these again."
"I do my potatoes earlier in the day then I put mine in the a crock pot on warm setting...frees up oven and stove top..."
"I think it defeats the purpose of making the potatoes ahead of time if you have to use precious oven space to heat them up. But it does look like a great recipe!"
"I only have one oven. How can I bake the potatoes and bake turkey at the same time. I wish I could."
"Family loves this."
"Easy to make and delicious when baked."
"Easy and very tasty"