- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- Dash paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Cool completely.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, sugar substitute, mustard, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, celery, carrot and onion. Add dressing and toss gently to coat.
- Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with egg and paprika. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Classic Macaroni Salad
"quick and easy, used real sugar and threw in some cucumber... Will make again"
"Very good, quick and easy too...."
"I used dill relish, no sugar, and a can of tuna. Great!"
"I think the dried mustard made it a bit too spicy for our tastes."
"It turned out great! Was a big hit with my family ??"
"When I first got the dressing together, I thought it just tasted "meh". But after putting everything together and letting it chill, I was blown away. This tastes just like my grandmother's shrimp macaroni salad (minus the shrimp of course). My husband even loved it too. I caught him literally licking some off his fingers. Delicious."
"Good side dish"
"Fantastic! I'm not even a big fan of pasta salads but I cleaned my plate. We don't care for sweet pickle relish so I substituted a minced hot dill pickle with a splash of the juice."
"It's good, what I was looking for (macaroni salad from the store). I added a cup more noodles, a tablespoon more mayo and, a tablespoon more relish. Everything else the same. Oh yeah I also used white sugar."
"Delicious! I also use real sugar rather than the substitute."