Classic Macaroni Salad Recipe
From Sardis, Ohio, Dorothy Bayes sends this refreshingly light take on an all-time favorite. It's perfect for a fast weeknight dinner or festive weekend barbecue.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- Dash paprika
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Cool completely.
- 2. For dressing, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, sugar substitute, mustard, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, celery, carrot and onion. Add dressing and toss gently to coat.
- 3. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with egg and paprika. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 111 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC