- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie
- plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake at
- 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch,
- flour and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir
- over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook
- and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg
- yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle
- boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently
- stir in butter and lemon peel. Gradually stir in lemon juice just
- until combined. Pour into the crust.
- For meringue, in a saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and
- cornstarch. Gradually stir in cold water. Cook and stir over medium
- heat until mixture is clear. Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat
- in cornstarch mixture on high until stiff glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meringue is golden
- brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3
- hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 444 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.