- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add 3 tablespoons cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and lemon peel. Gradually stir in lemon juice just until combined. Pour into the crust.
- For meringue, in a saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in cold water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is clear. Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat in cornstarch mixture on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
Sort By :
"I made this pie for a friend's retirement party. It was a huge hit. The use of fresh lemons for the jiuce and zest made this pie outstanding. I had to immediately make another for my family."
"Lemon meringue pie is one of my favorites and this recipe lives up to the quintessential tart yet sweet flavor combination lemon meringue pie should be. It's fabulous."
"I can not review the crust as I used the one that I make all of the time, but we loved the filling and the meringue. I used a scant 11/4 cup sugar so it was quite tart as that is how we like it and it was great. The amount and taste the meringue was lovely. It made a nice high meringue. I think I would make an extra half batch of filling for my family as we really love the lemony part. An excellent recipe, Lee! Thank you."
"QUALCUNO POTREBBE TRADURMI ALMENO LE DOSI DEGLI INGREDIENTI IN ITALIANO??? PLEASEEEEE"
"easy and crust turned out goodvery pretty"