- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; gradually beat in flour until blended.
- Press into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, flour and baking powder until frothy. Pour over crust.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until set and lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Classic Lemon Bars
Sort By :
"This is the same recipe that I had as a kid. It came out of the Charlie Brown cookbook that I bought in elementary school. But you have to double the lemon juice."
"I have this exact recipe and I don't know where I got it from but I have been making them for years now. I always use more lemon juice than it calls for. Turns out good each time I make them."
"Although this is really tasty, it doesn't really taste "lemony." I think the addition of some lemon peel would help with that. Otherwise very good!"
"I've made these bars several times and they have received rave reviews for their great flavor. Not too tart or too sweet."