Classic Lasagna Recipe
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each sugar, dried oregano and basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 package (12 ounces) lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, beef, onion, carrot and pepper flakes over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, basil, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and remaining pepper.
- 4. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer a fourth of the noodles, a third of the ricotta mixture, a fourth of the meat sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining noodles, sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- 5. Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella; bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 337 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 636 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.