Classic Lasagna Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon each sugar, dried oregano and basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 package (12 ounces) lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, beef, onion, carrot and pepper flakes over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, basil, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and remaining pepper.
- 4. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer a fourth of the noodles, a third of the ricotta mixture, a fourth of the meat sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining noodles, sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- 5. Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella; bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 337 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Classic Lasagna
"I just made this tonight and it was my first time ever making lasagna! All I have to say is that it was AMAZING!!!!"
"I made this lasagna for my husband's family. It was delicious. I used all ground pork (italian seasoned), instead of 1/2 beef mainly because I prefer the pork over the beef. I skipped the carrots mainly from oversight. I also only did two layers because my pan wasn't deep enough for 3. I will definitely make this again. The red pepper flakes give it just the right amount of kick. Great recipe!"
"Thought that this recipe was too meaty."
"I have been making this recipe since it was first published in 1997. It is a fabulous recipe and I always have people asking for the recipe. It really is a classic! The only changes I do is use the noodles that you do not need to cook ahead of time. It saves time this way."
"Fantastic recipe. Would definitely make again"
"We loved this recipe! I've made it three times now for family gatherings and it's always much appreciated. I used all ground beef (no sausage) and substituted 2tsp. dried parsley flakes for the fresh parsley.Delicious!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.