Classic Italian Chicken Recipe
Bobby Taylor of Michigan City, Indiana simmers breaded chicken in a tomatoey sauce seasoned with garlic, oregano and basil. A sprinkling of cheeses gives it a fast final touch.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a shallow bowl, beat egg and 1 tablespoon water. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine the soup, onion, garlic powder, basil, oregano and remaining water. Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 257 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Classic Italian Chicken
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2010
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC